Wow, the big 22, I feel so much....older? As is the case on every birthday I have had for the last 21 years, I don't feel very different Contrary to that very first and actual birth-day where I was forced from a warm and cozy womb into a cold and unforgiving wasteland that is this world. (I credit the term "unforgiving wasteland" to my dear husband, apparently his entrance to the world was especially traumatic).
Michael and I always enjoy this time of the year, because for the next two months we appear to only be 4 years apart. It's the little things....
For my first birthday as a married woman my husband decided to go all out, instead of just having one day of festivities, he made it a week-long celebration (mostly due to expiration dates and time constraints, but that is a minor detail).
The celebrations started with a delicious fondue restaurant called "The Melting Pot"
It was a pretty fancy place, we both felt a little out of our element. Luckily, we were a little better prepared than when we encountered the valet-men on our honeymoon. Deciding to make the most of it, we attempted to act like accomplished upper-class individuals...which promptly led to Michael spilling water all over his lap. Apparently we're just not cut out for that sort of lifestyle. We still had a really good time and the food was delicious.
We started out with a cheese fondue.
Here is the description from the menu:
Fondue à la France
A rich, smooth combination of baby Brie,
Fontina, Gruyère and Raclette cheeses
accented with Nueske’s bacon, onions,
white-truffle cream and fresh chives
(So fancy)
Next we had a scrumptious spinach salad followed by the main course:
Filet Mignon, Peppercorn-Crusted NY Strip, Chicken Provençal, Roasted-Garlic Shrimp, Maple Leaf Farms Duck a l’Orange, Ratatouille & Goat Cheese Ravioli and Fresh Vegetables.
They had a bunch of tasty sauces to dip everything in, it was quite an extravagant experience.
To finish things off we had a chocolate fondue called the "flaming turtle," which consisted of milk chocolate, caramel and pecans.
Unfortunately we forgot to take a picture until we were finished. The plate was originally full of strawberries, bananas, cheesecake, brownies, marshmallows, and other treats. It was soooo good!
The whole thing was quite the ordeal. We definitely learned one lesson though, never order the four course meal; we could barely get out of our seats (which, if we had been even close to fooling those around us, definitely gave us away for the post-college students we are). I recommend only ordering one course, preferably the dessert. What a way to kick of the celebrations, although I would have considered this celebration enough (my husband spoils me).
The festivities continued....
...with a Tuesday surprise. Michael and I had gone to the dentist back in March and Michael told me that he had to go again in April for a filling. A few days before, he started the usual despair that accompanies a trip to the dentist. Tuesday came and Michael asked if I would drive him to his appointment. Knowing how much he dreads the dentist I lovingly agreed, although I was surprised the appointment was so late (10am instead of the usual 8am). When we got in the car he told me to get some directions from the glove box. Directions? We've been to the dentist a thousand times, why would we need directions? I opened the compartment and found a note saying that instead of going to the dentist and work, Michael and I would get to spend the whole day together. Yay! Am I not the luckiest girl in the world?
We started off by going to Balboa park.
They have a lot of neat buildings, they also have free museums for California residents on Tuesdays.
We went to the Natural History museum, a model railroad museum, and the Reuben H Fleet Science Center.
The natural history museum was obviously great because it had animals, albeit fake/fossilized ones. The railroad museum was neat because it had model trains zooming all around, and the amount of detail that went into some of the sets was astounding. It made me really want to go back to the 50's (a lot of the sets were of life around then). The science center was also really cool. Michael and I spent the majority of our time there in the optical illusion section. This place would be the perfect for kids...especially nieces and nephews :)
I also experienced my first IMAX in a dome theater. It was awesome! What a perfect way to spend the day. We finished with a picnic outside on the grass, and then headed to the Wild Animal Park.
Cheetah! They had an ADORABLE baby cheetah as well. I have been trying to get Michael to allow us to have a kitten, but I think this would have been a bit much.
It was a huge place!
And of course they had Michael's favorite.
It was a wonderful day, I have such an amazing husband.
My actual birthday happened to fall on a fast Sunday.....no worries though, we still had a great day, and Michael had gotten me flowers.
And if all that wasn't enough, the next day we went to Chevy's and I got a birthday sombrero. Talk about your week long celebration!
BEST. BIRTHDAY. EVER.

No comments:
Post a Comment