Monday, March 14, 2011

Yesterday I attended a stake relief society activity focused on the things that matter most. Being a church function, of course it was centered on things like family, your relationship with Jesus Christ, the Scriptures, and the gospel. I was so glad when they used President Monson's clip on "What Matters Most." It has always been one of my favorites.




When pondering what matters most, the above mentioned things are the obvious choices, all of them being very important, but it does seem very redundant. I guess that is why I found Marilyn's workshop so refreshing. It was about returning to the best books. I especially liked that in the beginning she immediately mentioned that yes, the scriptures and church publications are things that we should be reading, but she wanted to go beyond that. I don't want to sound anti-gospel, but I think it is important to stress the secular things as well; it's good to have a balance.


Marilyn did a very good job (of course, what else would one expect), and a few people had interesting comments. I left feeling a lot more determined than I had anticipated. Definitely my favorite workshop of the morning, not that I'm biased or anything. I was also reminded of my wish to read "The Hunger Games" (it was mentioned several times). I need to get on that.




The second workshop I attended was on enjoying emotional well-being. It focused on setting aside time for yourself. Not exactly a problem for me considering I am home by myself a lot, but some of the things they said were really inspirational - and it's good information to store for when I do have 5 kids running around....not that we're planning on 5 or anything, it just seemed like a good number.


All in all, a morning well spent. I even went as far as to write my own list of things that matter most. It was an interesting process, separating the things that should matter most from things that I want to matter most, and a good introspective moment. I highly recommend it.

And while we're on the subject, I was reading a blog that had a weekly post called  "Things That I Love Thursday." I really enjoyed reading it because it made me think of all the little things each day I enjoy that maybe I take for granted. That, along with the workshop on being happy with what you've got, have inspired me to write my own weekly list. I also feel it's a good way to help me realize small things that I am thankful for. What can be a better start to the week than reminding oneself of all the good things in life?

So without further ado...

Things I enjoy: 
Waking up to the birds outside - pie - horseback riding - hugs from nursery children - chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with added cookie dough - melonball - sitting in the sun outside - hazelnut hot chocolate - fudge sauce - walking through grass in bare feet - the smell of rain - fluffy kittens - old spice deodorant (arctic force) - snails. 


I will admit that it was hard to only put a few, but I don't want to use most of them up in one go. I will also (slightly shamefully) admit that my original list consisted mainly of food...should I be concerned?

No comments:

Post a Comment