(Michael) Yesterday we went to the....
It was an full fledged jousting tournament, and they made sure that everyone understood that it was NOT a renaissance fair since none of it was staged. Points were awarded according to where you hit your opponent and how much of your balsa wood lance you could shatter. Pretty intense, here is one of the matches....
That was Jan Grandon versus Darth Rimmer. Jan was apparently a favorite in the tournament...and that might have something to do with the fact that he's from Poland and has that tough heritage you would expect for something like jousting and pollaxe-ing. You could tell he didn't mind getting roughed up a bit, although Sir Jan (may I call you Sir Jan?) if you're reading this, please change your motto - "Love conquers all". You lose a lot of credibility with that and I suggest going with something more intense like Steve Mallett's - "I yield to no one." One more interesting thing about Jan is that while a lot of the other guys are armorers or horsemen during their day jobs, Jan works as a plant manager of a filtration company. Now that is an interesting coworker.
Jan - "Hey Michael, how was your weekend?"
Michael - "Oh it was alright, did a couple errands, washed the car, how about you, what did you do?"
Jan - "Not much, just participated in an international jousting and pollaxe competition where the winner gets his name etched on a sword in England."
So hats off to Jan for that...however, hats on for Darth Rimmer. I mean really did you have to use the name Darth? We tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but your occupation as a designer of sideshow collectibles is not helping.
They also had an archery competition with the "archers of Ravenwood".
As well as some large horses (Amanda's favorite).
I know they did this on purpose, but I was a little thrown off by the mixture of eras. For example, you're walking around looking at a lot of medieval armor and then you come across a Roman legionnaire and then turn around to see a woman in a Victorian era costume. But I have to give credit to some of these people who go all out to get in the spirit of the tournament. I personally liked this woman's goblet cover...nice touch.
So all of that was great and we had a good time....
but really, we all know the best event of day....
Jan - "Hey Michael, how was your weekend?"
Michael - "Oh it was alright, did a couple errands, washed the car, how about you, what did you do?"
Jan - "Not much, just participated in an international jousting and pollaxe competition where the winner gets his name etched on a sword in England."
So hats off to Jan for that...however, hats on for Darth Rimmer. I mean really did you have to use the name Darth? We tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but your occupation as a designer of sideshow collectibles is not helping.
They also had an archery competition with the "archers of Ravenwood".
As well as some large horses (Amanda's favorite).
I know they did this on purpose, but I was a little thrown off by the mixture of eras. For example, you're walking around looking at a lot of medieval armor and then you come across a Roman legionnaire and then turn around to see a woman in a Victorian era costume. But I have to give credit to some of these people who go all out to get in the spirit of the tournament. I personally liked this woman's goblet cover...nice touch.
So all of that was great and we had a good time....
but really, we all know the best event of day....
No comments:
Post a Comment