Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween: Year 2

Whether it's costume fiascoes or moldy pumpkins, we just can't seem to get our Halloweens right.


This year was especially frightful!


WARNING: The story told in this post is rather graphic; if you have a good imagination or a personal liking for stick blenders, you may not want to continue.


It all started on Friday evening while I was making dinner. I was making some pesto while talking to Michael, who was on his way home from work, on speakerphone. I can't recall what we were talking about, but it must have been good because I was so into it that I didn't notice that the stick blender into which I was sticking  my finger (to make sure I got the maximum amount of pesto goodness of course) was still plugged into the wall. Next thing I know the blade is spinning and blood is going everywhere. Rather than waiting around to see the damage, I quickly grabbed a paper towel, wrapped it around my finger, applied pressure, and held my hand above my head, but not before all of this was able to happen....


WARNING: VERY graphic images











All of that in a mater of seconds! As I was telling Michael over the phone, I was bleeding a lot and there was blood everywhere. Poor Michael, he had been on the phone to hear the whole thing: the blood curdling scream, the crying, and the repeating phrase of "there's blood everywhere." 

(Michael) Let it be known, it was pretty much the worst Halloween surprise ever. Especially since I had little context for what was happening and was imagining the worst. The only thing that gave me comfort was the fact that she would say things like "the sandwiches are ruined," or "that our kitchen would make a good crime scene." I would hope these wouldn't be her last words if something truly terrible had really happened.

(Amanda) It was really good that Michael had already been on his way home and was able to be there in about 15 minutes. Longest 15 minutes ever. When he finally arrived he ushered me to the car and we headed off to the ER (for the second time in 6 months). 

At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to go because what if the cut wasn't actually that bad. I would feel really stupid if someone next to me had something terrible happen to them and here I am with a cut on my finger. It turned out that it was a good thing we went in. Apparently I cut my finger right down to the bone and needed 8 or 9 stitches; it was pretty gruesome. We were in and out of the ER in 4 hours and this is what I have to show for it:





I have to keep it covered for protection, and clean it out each day. I didn't know what to expect when I took of the bandages because I hadn't been brave enough to look when they were stitching it up.




Gross.


On a happier note, the next evening we went to a Halloween party hosted by Alan and Allison and had a wonderful time. And thanks to my new love of Pinterest, we were able to bring these:


The only thing more delicious than pumpkin pie....mini pumpkin pies!

And the only thing more delicious than that would be...


...mini pumpkin pies smothered in whipped cream :)

Happy Halloween

2 comments:

  1. I had to hurry and finish my breakfast so I could read this post. I'm sorry about your finger, I hope it heals soon!
    Also, I am newly obsessed with Pinterest too. I'll have to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As squeamish as I am about blood, I just had to find out exactly what happened to you. I am so glad you have your finger!!!! And after burning out two stick blender motors within a month, I decided to go back to the regular blender. I made pureed soup today, and I only missed it a little. Hardly at all, actually. Thanks for saving me some money. Hope it heals well. You are so brave.

    ReplyDelete