Sunday, November 14, 2010

Our first attempt at Halloween: FAIL

Fall is one of my favorite seasons. The weather gets cool and brisk, the leaves begin to change colour, the food is all fresh from the garden...ok so maybe it is still hot and sunny, the leaves haven't changed much and our food is from Albertsons, but Fall in San Diego is still amazing. Why? Two words: PUMPKIN PIE.

Isn't it beautiful?
We went through two pies the first week of Fall (we are working on cutting that down a little). Ifigure that there are only 3 months of pumpkin pie goodness so you've got to take advantage as much as possible.

I wish I could say the rest of our Fall festivities were as successful as our pumpkin pie.

We got a pumpkin (not for a pie)

...but by the time we got around to carving it Halloween was over.

Better late than never, right?
I think our procrastinated attempt, however, turned out to be worse than never.


Since we didn't finish it the first night, it sat in the apartment for a couple days. Who knew mold could grow so fast? FAIL.

Attempt number 2: Halloween costumes.

I was super excited to dress up for Halloween, but between Canada trip and camping we really didn't have any time, so of course we used the default: Cowboy and girl.


I was a little bummed that we didn't get to do a cute couples costume like M&M's (Michael and Mandy McPhie - yes I know it would have been nauseating). It still turned out alright though because my husband makes one good lookin' cowboy. Look at my city boy now!

So a funny story about our costumes. We had gotten all ready for the ward Halloween party and were pretty psyched. But when we got to the chapel parking lot we noticed that most of the adults were not wearing costumes. After a brief moment of panic, we attempted to change back to normal. It was pretty easy for me since I wear flannel shirts normally anyways. I just had to take off the hat, change the double braids to a ponytail and I was set. Michael was a little bit more difficult due to his more intense costume. Underneath his costume he was wearing a black shirt, but it was a tad bit small for him, not too mention his black church shoes looked a little bit ridiculous. Luckily, since I use the car as a second home, we had a pair of his sneakers in the back. We weren't so lucky with the shirt. Thankfully we had other things that night so we were only there for a short while. The best part though is that when we got into the cultural hall, more than half the people were dressed up after all. FAIL.

Attempt number 3: Halloween cookies

Halloween also happens to be Kona's birthday (Alan and Allison's dog). We were invited over for some birthday festivities and were asked to bring a treat. Any sane/normal person would have thought to bring a birthday cake, for some reason that didn't click with us; we brought cookies in the shape of a dog bone, a dog, and Halloween figures. Though to give us some credit we did use cream cheese icing which was delicious...until it made the cookies soggy :(

Even more sad than our lack of an amazing treat was the fact that they didn't exactly make it to Alan and Allison's. It was so close though, we made it all the way to their complex, but then Michael decided to go a little too fast over a speed bump.


Both the cookies and my lap weren't overly happy. FAIL.


Add to that the fact that we misspelled Kona's name with a "C" - double FAIL

There's always next year to try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment