Sunday, August 27, 2017

Thomas' 3rd Birthday

For Thomas' third birthday we did a train theme. 

I get really excited to make the invitations and so I go all out...and then I realize that I have to actually plan the party too. That part is not as fun for me.
I was really happy with how they turned out this year.


We used a hole punch to mark the date of the birthday, so these pictures must have been taken before that.


Michael has been in a "turn the wagon into something" phase ever since we turned it into a fire truck for Halloween. I present to you, his next creation. 



If anyone is wondering how we choose our birthday themes, this one was given to us by Michael's mom, Marilyn. She mentioned that she had a bunch of conductor hats sitting in her garage and I jumped at the chance to put them to good use. Each kid got a hat, train whistle, and bandana as their "goody bag". I am not a fan of goody bags full of candy and useless plastic toys so this is my attempt to fight against that.



I also like to choose themes that don't require me paying buckets of money for decorations. If we have enough of a particular toy to make decorations out of, BAM, that's the theme. 

 



For activities, I wanted to keep it age appropriate. "Here kids, play with some trains."



Stickers are always a good choice. We had sticker letters and animals to decorate "train cars." Thank you Target for the copious amount of shoe boxes.












Our final activity was a "train robbery." It was our pinata replacement. We put tissue paper in front of each window and had a ring pop (diamond) hiding behind. The kids had to punch through the paper to claim their prize.

I think Thomas approved.





They have tons of ideas for train cakes on Pinterest, but Michael was adamant about not having a "pinterest cake." This is what he came up with:




Nice trestle!


Happy third birthday, my boy!





No comments:

Post a Comment