Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Gender Reveal

We had our first ultrasound on Wednesday, hurray! Instead of finding out the gender right then and there, we decided to do a gender reveal party as it seems to be "the thing to do" these days. And you know us, we're all about the latest trends....

The ultrasound went well. I was told to drink 16oz of water and not go to the bathroom for at least an hour before. At the bottom of the information paper they had a note that they would reschedule if my bladder wasn't full enough. I was so worried we would have to reschedule so I ended up drinking about 3-4 times that amount...big mistake. By the time we got there I was ready to keel over. Our ultrasound technician put the probe on me and her first comment was "my, your bladder is really full." She was kind enough to check the birth canal first so I could go to the bathroom and then finish the ultrasound with an empty bladder. We found out later that not only was my bladder really full, but the baby was burrowing it's head into it. This is just one of the things I need to write down so I can hold it over my child's head at a later date, although I am sure giving birth itself is worth a lifetime of gratitude. 




We were able to see the hands, feet, and head of the baby but he was still very low so the technician had a hard time getting to the face. She made us take a break to walk up and down some stairs to see if we could get the baby to move. At this point we were trying to make deductions about the gender. The technician kept calling it a "he"," but she later told us that she calls every baby a he. She wrote the gender down on a piece of paper which we sealed in an envelope to give to our friend Allison.

Then we waited two more painstaking days to know the gender, all for the sake of being trendy. It was a fun party and the reveal worked out very well, but I don't think I would do it again. It didn't give us time to really enjoy the moment. 

We started by collecting everyone's votes on what gender they thought it would be, and taking suggestions for names. 



Then we had our spread of pink and blue food.


Next we played a few team games. The "baby boy" team won. We finished off with the big reveal (pictures pending). 
Since Allison knew the gender, she kindly filled black balloons with the correct color confetti so that when we all popped the balloons the room exploded with either pink or blue. 

And what color exploded out of the balloons?


BLUE. 
We're having a boy!

1 comment: