This last week he was in my office, and we were working hard trying to get something done for a deadline. After a while he said we should step away to clear our minds and unwind a bit. As we were walking out the door he asked me, "oh hey, you want to text your wife?..yeah, we should both get our phone and text our wives. Do you have your phone on you?" There are just some times when people say things that catch me off guard, and I have no idea how to respond. I mean, I guess I could have thought of something to write her, but did he just naturally assume that I would need to write her...in the middle of the day? Also, texting just doesn't seem like a group activity, but hey, maybe this is normal, and I'm out of touch with societal norms.
Anyway, I immediately started to think about how I was going to explain the following:
1. How I could work for a cell phone technology company while my phone is over four years old and has no data plan nor features.
2. My inability to text..."McPhie, are you still on your first sentence?"
3. Why my battery was dead (it doesn't hold a charge - refer to my first point).
Maybe he saw me pause or maybe he had an epiphany, but all of a sudden he moved on to an even better idea. "Wait, I know what we need to do...get some cupcakes, we'll get some cupcakes for our wives, yeah that's it". Having no idea about any kind of excuse to get out of something like that, I decided to go along.
We went to a place called "Sprinkles Cupcakes"
Have you guys been to one of these places? I had known that cupcakes were kind of a fad, but this was an eye opener. First of all, it was packed, and as I was trying to decided what I wanted to get. I could feel the impatience of all the people behind me (rolling their eyes at the cupcake novice). I got two chocolate cupcakes and they cost me $3.50 each (ouch), but I felt like I got away easy compared to my supervisor who paid about $40 for a dozen. The box the cupcakes come in tries its best to prove it's worth the cost...I mean, come on, you've got to pay more for vanilla from Madagascar.
Anyway, to make a long story short, here is what we got...
We made sure to focus on every bite...however, I'm sorry to report that they tasted a lot like normal cupcakes. Maybe that says something about my tastes, or something about the kind of cupcakes people have been serving me all these years.
Also, in a slightly related note, a woman from Taiwan gave me some Thinnest Cookies...they were actually pretty good, considering she used the term "ox tongue" to describe it.
What's a data plan? I just got a phone *with a camera on it!* And I have never sent a text. There, I just made you that much more cell phone savvy :)
ReplyDeleteAnd your Cupcake Creations (Cupcake Critters?) would put Sprinkles out of business!