Sunday, November 2, 2014

Tournament of the Phoenix/Halloween 2014

The Saturday before our ward Halloween party we had the opportunity to hear Michael's mother, Marilyn, tell stories at a jousting tournament. Of course we had to take advantage and make an outfit for Thomas. We were excited to have Thomas' cousins Katherine and Michael there as well.


Lots of interesting things to see and do, including holding a variety of birds of prey. Pretty neat.


And the best part is that we already had a costume ready for Halloween (minus a few extras we added on later).

I was excited for the medieval theme because I already had a dress that Marilyn had given me from a previous Tournament, and Michael had his puffy white shirt. I figured most of the work was done. 
Wrong. 
The ego boost I had received from being able to make up and sew together a costume for Thomas was quickly put in check when I attempted to hem the dress. Imperfections in costumes for children are a lot easier to overlook than a hemming job on a dress. I did learn a lot, though, and was very happy for the experience. Maybe one day I will actually learn how to sew instead of just making things up and taking tips from random youtube videos. 

After the hemming experience I didn't want to attempt to make anything for Michael, so I got this from a store. Yeah, we quickly decided it was a no go and just went with the white shirt. I mean, it's just a ward Halloween party.


And now for the little archer.


When Thomas wore his costume to the jousting tournament he didn't fuss too much, but at the Halloween party he was constantly trying to tear it off. Pictures were hard to get.


The fletching on the dark arrows are courtesy of our chickens. Takes home-made to a whole new level. I ended up having to make a second tunic because the first one burst at the seems. Apparently we have a little fatty on our hands....or maybe the onsie I used for the pattern was just a little too form fitting.



I just love this kid! What a face.


And here is our last minute Halloween decorating. Literally, we just finished putting up the pumpkin when the first trick-or-treaters came to the door. I was surprised when we had people come to our door until 9:30pm. I can't remember, but it seems like that is really late to be trick-or-treating. I thought anything after 8pm was considered disrespectful as a kid. They were all really nice, though. Oh, and it only took until about 7:30 before we got smart enough to put up a "please knock" sign on the door. Thomas was not enjoying Halloween.


Michael wanted me to include this slug. Apparently every time Michael comes home from work he finds it either on or slugging towards the mini pumpkin. It's created quite the little hole. No matter how many time Michael moves the slug away it always finds it's way back.


The slugs friend thought he had scored the jackpot with the giant inflatable pumpkin. What a disappointment that would be.






No comments:

Post a Comment