(Michael) After our eventful trip to Colonsay, we were back in Oban once again. I have to say, even though we ended up spending way more time there than planned, the town really began to grow on us.
We decided that, before heading off to catch our ferry to Ireland, we would have lunch at The Waterfront Fishouse Restaurant (we figured we needed to do this because of all the "Oban, the seafood capital of Scotland" signs). For some reason we had to walk between the dock and our car parked a mile away a bunch of times (drop off / pick backpacks, get camera, etc.) so we worked up quite the appetite. Along the way we got to see some of the locals practicing their lawn bowling skills...don't you wish you knew how to lawn bowl?
Anyway, we felt a little nervous about eating at this restaurant because it seemed a little fancier than we're used to and no one was there. And when I say no one was there, I mean no one was there at all. We stood at the front for a long time before seeing the waitress, and when she saw us she seemed surprised. "Oh, is the front door unlocked?", she asked. We informed her that it was.
Amanda ordered the mussels because it looked like the specialty of Oban, and this is what they first gave her....
Do you know what the water, lemon, and large spoon is for? We had some ideas, but were scared about messing it up (i.e. washing hands in the water when you're supposed to put it on the mussels). I think in the end she just didn't touch it, which was probably wise considering some our previous restaurant experiences.
I got the lobster bisque...
And then I thought I'd go out on the limb and get the Fishouse Stramash since the menu had this to say about it, "Stramash: a word used to say ‘It appears to be very messy’, but is in reality
one of the most entertaining aspects of the menu."
Basically it was a bunch of different fish and other seafood baked in a clam shell. Pretty neat.
After our meal we were off to next sea-related activity....
Kayaking!
Along our route to Troon we found this little place that had watersports. The owners were pretty happy to see us since I think it had been a while since they had customers. I like how a lot of these places we went to were all family-run businesses, with such friendly service. They quickly got us wetsuits and all the equipment we needed to go out on the water. At one point we tried to work together to pick up a shell from the sea floor with our paddles. Mostly we simply enjoyed being on such clear water with the misty coast and green hills in the background.
No comments:
Post a Comment